Charity Fair Project Blog- 12/21/17

Image:



Summary:
What is human trafficking? Well, it is modern day slavery in which men, women and especially children are exploited through force, fraud, and threatening. It occurs around the world, including right here in the USA. Victims are trapped, vulnerable and unable to take action without risking their own lives. World of Children is “unlocking the future for vulnerable children by funding and elevating the most effective changemakers for children worldwide.” World of Children’s Honorees are working to rescue and rehabilitate victims of child trafficking so that they are safe, supported, and have the opportunity to rebuild. This charity has been around for 9 years and they have raised a lot of money. According to World of Children Charities, they have made a total income of $1,916,334, from public funds, restricted and unrestricted boards of gifts, and in-kind donations. “Contributions from our Board of Governors pays for 100% of general and administrative costs and fundraising costs.” World of Children Charities has raised a lot of money for honoring, elevating, and vetting honorees.

Backward-Looking: In what ways have you gotten better at this kind of work?
I have been doing charity fair for the past three years and I have definitely gotten better at this kind of work. My trifold looks better because I planned my time accordingly and put tons of effort into it. As well as that, my presentation skills have greatly improved. This year, my group and I received tons of compliments on our presentation because it was well rehearsed and did a good job of conveying our charities message. By using these newfound skills my group and I were able to sell out and are going to student council in hopes of donating the money we made to our charity. All in all, I have improved at this type of work and I know it will help me in the future.

Inward-Looking: How do you feel about this piece of work? What parts of it do you particularly like? Dislike? Why? What did/do you enjoy this piece or work?
I am always so happy when it is time for charity fair because it is one of my favorite projects. One thing I liked was how all our money goes to charity. Another thing that I like is how this project is more hands-on, we get to make products and show our creativity. In addition to that, we get to be business minded because we are working with money. The last thing that I really liked was how this year the charity fair project was incorporated in almost every class, in science we worked on our instructable, in history we worked on choosing and researching a charity, in ELA we worked on our ignite presentations, in math we worked on cost & profit and charity statistics, and in elective we put everything together on our trifold. It isn't particularly a dislike, but it was hard to work around all the concerns of teachers such as electrical equipment and packaging of food.

Outward-Looking: What grade would you give it? Why? 
If I were the teacher grading this project I would give it an A, and not only because that's the grade I received. I would give this project an A for many reasons, some of which include, originality, effort, and going above and beyond the requirements. My group was very original in the sense of the way we chose to present things. Out trifold was "Out-of-the-box" because it included pop-out text and 3D effects. I say we went above and beyond the requirements, because we complied with the rubric 100% and each component we made went hand in hand with one another to produce a seamless and flawless result. As well as that, during Charity Fair, we received many compliments on our trifold, presentation, and product design which shows that we put a lot of time and effort. These are the reasons our project was great and the reason we got an A.

Forward-Looking: What would you change if you had a chance to do this piece over again?
If I had the chance to redo this project I would intentionally change two things.The first thing I would do is make a different product. I would make a non-edible product or a drink. I would do this because I've noticed that over the past charity fairs it has become more and more like a bake sale. Almost everyone was selling edible items and the same kind of edible items. I would make something like greeting cards or ornaments that have to do with the theme of Christmas. Another thing I would change is covering some of the fortune cookies with chocolate or sprinkles so they appeal to a younger audience. Even though there are a few things I would like to change I am very happy with how the charity fair project went this year. Mostly everything went smoothly, except transporting our board because of the height, and we sold all of our products.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cladograms, cladograms, cladograms 10/22/17

Stress On the Brain 05/13/18

The Long Life of Earth 9/10